I found myself doing the same thing as I went to write today's blog post...almost becoming sad on a day worth celebrating! SO--no more! Today I am going to focus on the positive and do some quick reflections and quick "look aheads"!
- Despite horrific things happening in our world, I am never disappointed in the way so many people react...whether it be acts of nature or acts of man, GOOD will triumph if we all do our part to make the world a better place.
- Despite the stresses of the Common Core and "change", great things are happening in our classrooms and schools. Let's continue to support our teammates and students as we work through the "rough spots" of this transition. No, there aren't enough resources, money, or technology to do it right. It's ok--one step at a time. Worry about what you can control...(feel free to remind of this at any time)
- Technology is making the world a smaller place and opening opportunities for many of us! Let's not forget to put down our technology once in a while...there are real humans out there that enjoy us (for the most part!).
- I went back and reread my blog post Running on Empty to remind myself of how much I, personally, have learned in recent months. I need to do a better job helping my students see that--no more "deficit model" for them either!
- There are so many cool ideas (spend a few minutes surfing Pinterest or blogs if you doubt me), so many amazing books, so much new information that it is almost overwhelming. I hereby VOW to not let myself get overwhelmed in 2013 and will, instead, savor one AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC idea at a time without thinking "Oooh...maybe it would have been better if..." Admit it--you do it too--you are a "collector" of ideas, right?
So...may each of you look back on your 2012 and savor the glorious moments and find the silver lining in the moments that are less perfect. May you continue to learn and grow in the new year but take the time to reflect on how far you have come and not dwell in what you didn't accomplish. And, finally, remember to take some time for you and your loved ones. It may seem as though there isn't enough time in the day--but there is always time for them.
Peace to you all...and thank you for ending 2012 with me--and I hope you stick with me in 2013!